Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Wednesday...nope not a Monday...even when it feels like it!

Bible/Devotions: We did day 2 with our Philippians study. We looked deeper into Philippians 1:1-2. We talked about what an epistle is, who Philippians was written by and who it was written to. Again, the notes in the kids new Bible's are awesome for this more in depth studying. It really gives us more insight without having to research a lot.
Here is the lesson we are using loosely: http://www.ourfamilyforhisglory.com/2012/09/philippians-bible-studies-and-family-bible-times/

Science was more on atoms and molecules. We watched a couple more videos and read some more. Taking time to review over and over again and really make sure the kids *get* what each part of an atom is and what it does. Now, none of my kids wants a career with a chemistry background, so going in depth is not my goal here, just to get them a basic knowledge of how atoms and molecules work and what the periodic table is and how to read it.

After watching the videos I told the kids to get their periodic table and choose 3 elements, they each did, of course Paige picking 3 that she could use to make jewelry, Blake choosing 3 that had the lowest atomic number and Justin picking 3 that are elements that could be used for weapon making. Yep, even in this lesson their personalities come out.

I then told them to diagram an atom for their 3 elements. Here are a couple of pictures.




Bryce and Chloe were doing ABC Mouse while I worked with the older kids. They really like that program. I don't know if they are learning what I had hoped they would from it, but they like it and it keeps them occupied while I work with the older kids. 



Lunch came next, and for lunch we FINALLY got to make our Angry Bird pizza. I went grocery shopping this morning (ya know, because we had NOTHING to eat around here) and got yeast. Here is how it turned out. 
Bryce LOVED it. I didn't show it to him before I put it in the oven and he could not wait until it came out, so he peaked in the oven to see it. He did let me know that it was not a circle though, and that the red bird is not a rectangle. I told him that he needs to buy me a circle pizza pan and I will make him a circle red bird. 

Bible/Self Control was continued after lunch. After talking about the fruits of the Spirit and doing our Bible lesson on self control we read The Very Hungry Caterpillar. We talked about having having self control means that you have to control things like eating and playing video games. We read some Bible verses and not overeating or drinking and resisting temptation. We talked about how in Christ we are a new creation, we are told to let go of our past (sins) and with the help of the Holy Spirit resist temptation. Like a caterpillar, we shed our skin and become a beautiful creation in Christ. (short version of our hour lesson). 

While we read the story, the kids got to find what the caterpillar ate that day in our *table picnic*. Chloe was excited for the fruit and Bryce was excited for the pickles. My kids are crazy. 

Our table picnic


Pickles and cheese, a plat for Bryce

We saved the cherry pie to have for dessert with dad. 

Listening to the story




Watermelon and strawberries, she was in heaven. I need to plan a bit better and do these lessons when this fruit is in season, it won't break the bank like buying them in January. 

Chloe

Bryce, Chloe, Paige and Samantha made hand print caterpillars also...I got a couple of in progress pictures but not completed. I will get those and add them later tonight. 






No comments:

Post a Comment