Well, last week got hectic. So I didn't have a chance to blog each night. Sorry. So here is one long post to share what we did last week.
Science: CrossWired Science
http://www.crosswiredscience.com/
This is a really new program that I found out about at a local homeschool convention. They still have some kinks to work out, and it sometimes frustrates me. But the concept is great. We add to their video lesson and turn each video into 2 days worth of science.
Rocks, Rock Cycle and Type of Rocks:
Our video with Crosswired science was about geology. It was a very entry level introduction to rocks and the rock cycle. I of course added lots to it. We watched about 8 videos, listened to some songs, did worksheets, did experiments, went on a rock hunt and much more. Here are a few pictures from our rock activities.
 |
| Our experiment with pumice. |
 |
| Pumice, even though a rock, will float. |
 |
| This came in our science kit from CrossWired Science. It is a rock board. |
 |
| This is a worksheet activity that I got at Homeschool Den. They learn about how rocks are used in building. |
 |
| Rock flash cards |
 |
| Working on the rock cycle |
 |
| Another worksheet from Homeschool Den. This one taught the kids about 12 popular "rocks". We looked each one up and learned a little more about them. The kids knew about some, but not all of them. |
 |
| Bryce and Chloe went on a 'rock hunt'. Here is what they found. The picture doesn't show the 'shiny' real well. |
 |
| Preparing to make our different rocks |
 |
| Sediments... |
 |
| Just to show what we were using :) |
 |
| When sediments come together, by different means, including erosion, we get sedimentary rocks. |
 |
| Here is metamorphic. Change due to heat and pressure, turn sedimentary rocks into metamorphic rocks. |
 |
| They put the 'sedimentary' together and smashed it with a book. Making a metamorphic rock. |
 |
| They then heated the metamorphic rock and made an igneous rock. |
 |
| Mom look, it looks like lava. A real igneous rock. |
 |
| After it cooled. It lost most of its color, was really hard and shiny! |
For Bible we are still digging deep into Philippians. I didn't find the first lesson we were using to really be a good fit after using it for a couple of week. So I searched the internet and found several others to follow. I found a Bible study, a sermon series and some foot note type sheets to use. It made it a bit easier today when we did Bible. Today we read Philippians 1: 3-11. We will continue on these few verses tomorrow. Really digging deep and getting the kids to think about what Paul is trying to tell/teach them.
The Littles AKA Bryce and Chloe: Last week for our 'fun' lessons, we learned about bears. Different types of bears, hibernation, what they eat and where they live. We did a lapbook from Homeschool Share (
http://www.homeschoolshare.com/bears.php) and they liked it. We did a couple different pieces each day and assembled the lapbook on Friday.
We also did some math with gummy bears. Of course more got eaten than used for math :)
 |
| Sorting and graphing with gummy bears |
 |
| sorting with gummy bears |
 |
sorting and graphing with gummy bears
|
We also did this cute worksheet (I think I got it from TPT) They had to roll the dice and make a check mark above the number that they rolled. Racing to the top of the Page.
 |
| Chloe |
 |
| Bryce |
Part of our language this year is leaning different words. Words we wouldn't normally learn. I bought this set of word cards at the homeschool convention and we are really enjoying them. In a short time the kids have learned 30 new words...words that they are remembering...words that they know the meanings of and synonyms and antonyms of. Worth what I paid for them.
http://www.marieswords.com/
We didn't get to everything that I had planned for the week. I really don't like it when that happens, but life just got in the way. Maybe we will be able to revisit some of the lessons over the next year, as review, and we can do the other activities.
Hi Jennifer
ReplyDeleteI hope your okay. Praying for you.
I am really enjoying reading about your days.
Cassandra
Hi,
ReplyDeleteAre you still using the CrossWired Science? Or did you use much of it? It looks fabulous online, but I can't find a review anywhere. What are your thoughts on it?
Thanks so much!!!!!!
I'm wondering the same thing about crosswired science. I can't find reviews. So I'm nervous to buy if its a scam?
DeleteYeah, I can't imagine outs a scam... seems like they put a lot into it. BUT, I emailed them (no reply) and called several times, but it says their number is unavailable, so it send like they have gone out of business �� seems like such a shame ������
ReplyDelete